Sunday, May 04, 2008

Inventions, Freaks, and Corndogs - Celebrating DIY in the 21st Century

















Life Size Mouse Trap (photo by Ken Duffy)

Today I was invited to bring my VainVan ArtCar to the Maker Faire in San Mateo, CA. It was a really fascinating experience. I've been to many types of festivals and fairs over the years and while I do love having my annual corndog, I always get the creeps from the carnies, the immense, pasty, Americans waddling around, and the scary toothless, drunk, fools hootin and hollarin as they peel out in their 12' tall pick ups. It almost doesn't matter what state you're in or what the fair is about, the components seem to almost always be the same. WELL, not today!

The Maker Faire is just about the coolest mix of the good things about county fairs, wood working...














Custom Conference Table & Chairs by BecauseWeCan.org


science fairs...















Giraffe photo by Scott / Laughing Squid


crafts festivals...






















Log Pillow by Erika Kern My Imaginary Boyfriend


and Burning Man...
















Neverwas Haul photo by my web-host, Scott Beale / Laughing Squid



PianoMotion by Mark Chang

It was like anywhere U.S.A. Summer fair but instead of rednecks, it was populated with pierced, tattooed freaks and artists. IT WAS GREAT! It was especially fabulous to see how many cool kids are being introduced to creative thinking, art, inventions, and the common-ness of being weird. And...I even got my corndog!




















!!!UPDATE!!!

I'm happy to report that Jennifer Marsh, who I did a story on last Fall, has finished her amazing International Fiber Collaboration. Here's a photo of the finished piece installed over the derelict gas station in Syracuse, NY. Click on the link for more photos. WOW!















International Fiber Collaboration © 2008 Jennifer Marsh

All is not lost as long as people are willing to create, laugh, and help each other through life!

Please respect the work of the artists you see here and be sure to credit them when you share their artwork with others.

To share your opinion on this or any other post, please click the word "COMMENTS" below.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Heya EmilyD, was just pimping yer trailer to someone at DKos...a fellow traveler.
Good pictures, I especially like the gas station fiber arts project. Sending it to my pro fiber artist sistren.

See ya in the funny papers.
All the best
KenBee

5:30 AM  
Blogger Tangled Stitch said...

So cool. I too found you on Kos. I'm an Obama supporter who is a fiber artist in my real life. Sorry I missed the collective but happy I found your great blog. And hasn't it been awfully hard to be creative and actually work with all this Obamanation going on?

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home