Monday, March 10, 2008

Say Your Piece By Sending A Piece...






















Click on image for larger view
For the Love of Oil: Map of Iraq With Patriotic Bomb © 2008 Emily Duffy

A few months ago I wrote about a very cool political art project by artist Jennifer Marsh. Maybe it's my empathy for someone who's doing a massive fiber collection project (much like my BraBall sculpture - which was a huge, five-year-long ordeal for me and my family. It was definitely worth it but I could have done without all the controversy.) Jennifer is using fiber in ways no weaver ever thought of before...to cover a derelict gas station! So, I finally got my shit together and made a panel for her project. I wish I could have spent more time on this but I am working furiously on my upcoming solo show, (scheduled just before the November election, details to follow as things develop.) Anyway, here's what I came up with, I hope you find it interesting:

So I wanted to focus on the war in Iraq because I recall one of the "selling points" of this terrible occupation was that invading that country would bring our gas prices down. Well, today, they're not only higher than they've ever been IN HISTORY but almost 4000 US Soldiers are dead, thousands more are injured, and who really knows how many Iraqis are dead, injured, and/or being tortured on our account.

















Click on image for larger view
For the Love of Oil: Casualty © 2008 Emily Duffy

Here we are in the middle of a big national election, yet there's rarely any news about the killing that has continued unabated since Mr. Bush invaded Iraq on faulty intelligence back in 2003.























Click on image for larger view
For the Love of Oil:Patriotic Bomb © 2008 Emily Duffy

In fact March 19, 2008 is the 5th anniversary of this tragic, endless nightmare. I hope you'll commemorate this solemn occasion with your fellow citizens. There are thousands of gatherings being planned all around the world. You can find a MoveOn.org event in your area by going to this LINK.






















Click on image for larger view
For the Love of Oil: Hummer © 2008 Emily Duffy

Please respect the work of the artists you see here and be sure to credit them when you share their artwork with others.

To share your opinion on this or any other post, please click the word "COMMENTS" below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home