Thursday, August 03, 2006

Guest Artist: Dixie Brown















Family Portrait © Dixie Brown 2006

In using the symbol of modern war,
I chose to portray bombs in a material
associated with protecting the human body.

This incongruity between image and medium,
between destruction and nurturance
raises consideration of the human cost of war.

A family-sized grouping suggests the lasting
effect of military conflict on several generations.

The ultimate question is “How big is my family?
Dixie Brown

Dixie has been making hand-knit bombs to show in art galleries. She says it's her
...way of illustrating the ironies and incongruities between war and human needs for protection."
She goes on to say,
Recently, I began using the form of a bomb, which is assumed to be hard, destructive, and industrially made. But my materials are soft, comforting, and worked by hand. Such opposite characteristics both can be experienced as protection, depending on where one stands. In addition, a person can experience opposing feelings about the pieces at different times.

You can see Dixie's current installation live and in person if you're near Walnut Creek, California at the Bedford Gallery. She describes the piece,
...a cluster of soft bombs "falls" in the stairwell of the Lesher Center for the Performing Arts.


Please respect the work of the artists you see here and be sure to credit them when you share their artwork with others.

To share your opinion on this or any other post, please click the word "COMMENTS" below.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Emilyd,
I am not a member of Dkos so I thought I'd leave a comment here.
Great stuff. Love what you are doing.
I thought I'd give you a heads up on another California artist doing some great political art:
artofmarkbryan.com
I don't know him, just seen his stuff at a gallery in Sacramento. I think he lives on the central coast. I hope you will check out his entire site, he has many gems under each category. The prominent piece on the front page I have seen here in Sacramento, very powerful.
Good luck with your site. I'll visit again.
Art Lover

9:51 AM  
Blogger Emily Duffy said...

Thanks for stopping by anon. I'm sorry the comment function of Blogspot is so unfriendly. Many people who've been viewing this site have sent me private messages about it because they don't like hassling to post here. But of course I love getting comments on the site so thank you for yours. I'll check out Mark Bryan's art, thanks for the tip.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home